25 October 2006

Made It!

Finally a post not by me, ladies and gentlemen I proudly give you Kirsten's first post...

My flight over was fairly uneventful (or should I saw "quite"?). Friday was a windy day in New York, so we ended up taxi-ing for over an hour. I ofcourse slept through it, but then was rudely awaken when we took off. Virgin Atlantic is awesome! Friendly service, great individual tv screens with endless games/movies/music, and decent food. When we got above Heathrow we were put in a holding pattern. I didn't really mind, because the pilot had that cute little British accent. Once we landed I waited in a short line for immigration, and then happily proceeded to meet Brian on the other side. What a relief! I was thrilled to once again have him by my side. I also had this overwhelming sense of accomplishment. We did it! We moved to London!!! As most of you know.... the last few weeks before the move were rough. I am happy to have them behind me!

We hopped in a black cab and proceeded to our new home of Islington. Our apartment is adorable! Bright and sunny (an oxymoron i know but it really is!), two bedrooms, two bathrooms, decent size sitting room, large windows, and new kitchen. Perfect for accomadating international guests :) Islington itself is also quite cute and convenient. Great boutiques, restaurant on top of restaurant on top or restaurant, and a pub on every corner. The bus stops across the street (B has a 20min commute to his office on oxford st.), and the tube is a 10 minute walk away.

My first few days were spent exploring with our friends Brad and Mia. London was the third stop in their 4 city tour (Barcelona, Lisbon, and now Paris). Brian took Monday off to enjoy his 31st birthday and play tourist with the three of us. We took a ride on the London Eye and checked out an exhibit at the Tate Modern. We had hoped to slide down the latest installation which consists of clear plastic slides that are various heights - the tallest going from the fifth floor down to the basement. Unfortunately the tickets were sold out. We then met up with some friends at a traditional pub on the Thames. Afterwards we headed to Wagamama for a very satisfying birthday dinner.

On Tuesday I continued my tourist adventure with a trip to St Paul's Cathedral. Luckily Brad and Mia were willing to hold my purse and umbrella as I climbed the spiral stairs to the top. A perilous accomplishment with the boot on my broken foot! Mia and I also managed to find a paper shop and a tremendous fabric design store called Liberty. It was craft heaven!!!

Over the past few days I have also managed to get a Boots discount card, visit Top Shop (which was complete madness with several hundred 16 year old girls from all over Europe), use my Oyster card, and buy pillows at Marks & Spencers. And yes, Mads, ... we have PG tips in our cupboard.

I think this adventure will be fab. Over the next week or so I am looking forward to exploring some new neighborhoods, and ease in to the thought of looking for work. I am still looking to temp for a month or two while I sort out my nursing licenses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home