17 March 2007

Kicking it in March

So everyother weekend or so Kirsten has to work either Saturday or Sunday. This gives me the opportunity to sleep in and then spend the day in the nearest pub watching football, rugby or god forbid cricket. I guess I could always go into the office and use the time productively, but that generally sounds like the worst idea ever.

Last Saturday (10 March) while Kirsten was working, I convinced Martyn to accompany me to Cambridgeshire for the East Anglia Food Festival, billed as the largest food fair in England. It was quite the adventure getting there, and finding that the "largest food fair" in England comprised 80 stalls. If one were to speculate at the Brits cuisine based on the food fair you would be convinced their diets consisted of sausage, cheese, olive oil, beer, wine and poultry...oh wait, that is their diet. Some of the highlights (aside from being in the middle of nowhere and costing us 20 pounds to get their from the train station):
>>The St. Peter's Brewery - quality beers in very unique bottles. Check out the website (www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk), they have a limited distribution to the US. I also found they have a pub just down the road from us, so make sure we go there on your visit. The Honey Porter is fantastic.
>>River House Smoked Salmon (www.riverhousesmokedsalmon.co.uk) - I like smoked salmon normally, this stuff was phenomenal.
>>Agnes and Joe (www.agnesandjoe.co.uk) - Awesome curry, brought out beads of sweat on my forehead, but really nice flavor. It didn't hurt that the woman was wearing a Red Sox hat, I told her the curry was a "wicked pissah", she told me to f^&* off, oh well...

Some of the places that Martyn and I avoided were the Diaper Poultry Stall (I think a re-brand might be in order), Bhaji Man (he scared me), The Story of Pork (scintillating) and several others that just looked odd.

After Martyn and I made it back to London, I picked Kirsten up and we met up with fellow ex-pats, Pat and Amy for a lovely dinner down Charlotte St. Lots of good restaurants to choose from.

On Sunday Kirsten and I went out to Windsor, but that's for the next blog entry...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home